Arthur G. Lipman (z“l) has been active in the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) since he joined the Cub Scouts at age 8 in the Cachalot Council in Massachusetts. In over 50 years as a Scout leader, Art has served in many capacities including:
- Scoutmaster in the Kit Carson (Arizona) and Great Salt Lake (Utah) councils.
- Cubmaster in the Great Salt Lake Council
- District Commissioner in the Quinnipiac (Connecticut) Council.
- District Chairman and Assistant Council Commissioner in the Great Salt Lake Council.
- Vice President for Relationships in the Great Salt Lake Council.
- Area Vice President for Membership in the Western Region.
- Western Region Membership Committee.
- National Jewish Committee and National Community Relationships Committee.
- Staff at three National Jamborees.
- Staff on four Wood Badge courses.
- Faculty at the Philmont Scout Ranch National Training Center.
Art was elected as the founding Vice-Chairman of the Board of Directors of the International Forum of Jewish Scouts in 2006 while he was living in Jerusalem. He represented the BSA at the inauguration of the Forum in 2007. He currently chairs the International Liaison Group of the BSA National Jewish Committee on Scouting.
Professionally, Art’s focus has been clinical pharmacology in pain management. He has been on the faculties of Yale University and the University of Utah and visiting professor or guest lecturer at many institutions including the University of Oxford and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He is Professor Emeritus of Pharmacotherapy and Adjunct Professor of Anesthesiology at the University of Utah. Art is also a retired officer (CAPT) in the reserve of the United States Public Health Service.
His daughter Sarah is completing rabbinical school and his Eagle Scout son Josh is a graduate student in ecological hermeneutics at the University of Cambridge.
Art’s scouting award include:
· Eagle Scout with bronze, gold and silver palms
· Ner Tamid emblem
· Shofar Award
· Scoutmaster Award of Merit
· District Award of Merit
· Silver Beaver Award
· Wood Badge
· National Eagle Scout Association Outstanding Eagle Scout Award
· Vigil Honor in the Order of the Arrow